NGE

A little tea, a little chat

I've been a compulsive reader, writer and theatre goer all my life. My book blog is here: http://alittleteaalittlechat.wordpress.com/ Mostly food at the moment but also knitting is here: http://cathyingeneva.wordpress.com/

Democracy Incorporated: Managed Democracy and the Specter of Inverted Totalitarianism
Sheldon S. Wolin
The Temptation of Saint Anthony
Gustave Flaubert
Nebula Award Stories 3
Cosmology and Controversy: The Historical Development of Two Theories of the Universe
Helge Kragh
Gantenbein
Max Frisch
Nebula Award Stories 3 - Harlan Ellison, Gary Wright, Samuel R. Delany, Michael Moorcock, Fritz Leiber, Roger Zelazny, J.G. Ballard, Anne McCaffrey I'm reading this to see whether Manny's bright 16 year old eye or Paul Bryant's jaundiced 20 year old's was right.

Blow by blow as I plough through it, so more to come....

1) Ballard: Paul 1 Manny 0

Paul is so right. A dreary story and I fail to see what is sf about it. I hope it is true that this does not represent Ballard as his finest.

2) Ellison: Paul .5 Manny .25

I'm afraid the only reason this one perked me up was because it came after 1). Much better written, but unfortunately that is no great compliment.

3) Wilson: Paul 1 Manny -.25 (for conveniently ignoring this in his review.)

What the fuck. The printer got something wrong here. A section of Sports Illustrated smack bang in the middle of a sf book. At least that issue of SI was improved by whatever SF story was accidentally included.

Manny's in trouble so far. Will he recover??? Stay tuned.