NGE

A little tea, a little chat

I've been a compulsive reader, writer and theatre goer all my life. My book blog is here: http://alittleteaalittlechat.wordpress.com/ Mostly food at the moment but also knitting is here: http://cathyingeneva.wordpress.com/

Democracy Incorporated: Managed Democracy and the Specter of Inverted Totalitarianism
Sheldon S. Wolin
The Temptation of Saint Anthony
Gustave Flaubert
Nebula Award Stories 3
Harlan Ellison, Gary Wright, Samuel R. Delany, Michael Moorcock, Fritz Leiber, Roger Zelazny, J.G. Ballard, Anne McCaffrey
Cosmology and Controversy: The Historical Development of Two Theories of the Universe
Helge Kragh
Gantenbein
Max Frisch
The Magician of Lublin - Isaac Bashevis Singer I'm missing something here. I had absolutely no empathy with or sympathy for the main character, I have no picture of him in my head, I didn't believe in him, I didn't understand him. I didn't care about him or any of those around him.

My conclusion is that this is not well written. It paints a rich picture of the Poland of the period; though I have no idea if it is historically accurate, it was at least interesting. That seems to be the strength of the author and the point of his work. In this book, at least, he has signally failed to create a character. I'd love to see the movie, Alan Arkin is a great actor, and I couldn't help thinking that it would work better on the screen.

In short, disappointed. If you want to read a good book about an artist who can't keep his dick in his pants, even more unpleasant, but nonetheless makes you feel for him every step of the way, try Simenon's The Heart of the Man.