NGE

A little tea, a little chat

I've been a compulsive reader, writer and theatre goer all my life. My book blog is here: http://alittleteaalittlechat.wordpress.com/ Mostly food at the moment but also knitting is here: http://cathyingeneva.wordpress.com/

Democracy Incorporated: Managed Democracy and the Specter of Inverted Totalitarianism
Sheldon S. Wolin
The Temptation of Saint Anthony
Gustave Flaubert
Nebula Award Stories 3
Harlan Ellison, Gary Wright, Samuel R. Delany, Michael Moorcock, Fritz Leiber, Roger Zelazny, J.G. Ballard, Anne McCaffrey
Cosmology and Controversy: The Historical Development of Two Theories of the Universe
Helge Kragh
Gantenbein
Max Frisch
The Expert Game - Terence Reese After you've finished Card-Play Technique, this comes next. I have a huge collection of bridge books, but hardly any past about 1970. For some reason nobody has been able to write books of the standard of those early English writers: Mollo, Simon, Reese etc. Their insights are never going to lose their relevance and they are written exquisitely.

Both Mollo and Skid Simon could have (and, in the case of Skid, did) write about anything and been successful. Reese, however, is more like an expert's expert. He's another one of those writers who talks about the basics in a way that takes you back to him when you feel you have lost your way.

Compulsory reading.