NGE

A little tea, a little chat

I've been a compulsive reader, writer and theatre goer all my life. My book blog is here: http://alittleteaalittlechat.wordpress.com/ Mostly food at the moment but also knitting is here: http://cathyingeneva.wordpress.com/

Democracy Incorporated: Managed Democracy and the Specter of Inverted Totalitarianism
Sheldon S. Wolin
The Temptation of Saint Anthony
Gustave Flaubert
Nebula Award Stories 3
Harlan Ellison, Gary Wright, Samuel R. Delany, Michael Moorcock, Fritz Leiber, Roger Zelazny, J.G. Ballard, Anne McCaffrey
Cosmology and Controversy: The Historical Development of Two Theories of the Universe
Helge Kragh
Gantenbein
Max Frisch

Jesus Out to Sea

Jesus Out To Sea - James Lee Burke I couldn't help thinking this is Ray Bradbury from the wrong side of town, what happens to children who don't live in that pure middle-American country idyll that Bradbury made so much his milieu. Childhood fancy struggling through the real shit of American life, the violence, poverty, ignorance that are at least as much American life as that which Bradbury chronicles.

Not only about childhood, but it is a theme.

And throughout it all, the poetic lilt that is Burke's own in the way Bradbury has his. I found myself reading passages out loud - especially conversation - it demanded to be heard as well as looked at. It's been quite a while since I visited Burke's world, but I'm so glad I did.