NGE

A little tea, a little chat

I've been a compulsive reader, writer and theatre goer all my life. My book blog is here: http://alittleteaalittlechat.wordpress.com/ Mostly food at the moment but also knitting is here: http://cathyingeneva.wordpress.com/

Democracy Incorporated: Managed Democracy and the Specter of Inverted Totalitarianism
Sheldon S. Wolin
The Temptation of Saint Anthony
Gustave Flaubert
Nebula Award Stories 3
Harlan Ellison, Gary Wright, Samuel R. Delany, Michael Moorcock, Fritz Leiber, Roger Zelazny, J.G. Ballard, Anne McCaffrey
Cosmology and Controversy: The Historical Development of Two Theories of the Universe
Helge Kragh
Gantenbein
Max Frisch

A Postmodern Belch

A Postmodern Belch - M.J. Nicholls Written after reading part of the first sentence. I was incited to do so. The stars are a combination of hearsay and my expectation of the capabilities of MJ. I am Scottish in my use of stars - that is, they may be free, but that is no reason to be extravangant with them - and hence my praise may be regarded as lavish.

A conversation which might have taken place with J. an autistic person of forthright opinions, the precise delivery of which is completely predictable.

J: Why did you make me read that sentence, Cathy? Why did you, why did you make me read that, Cathy? Why? Cathy, why did you make me read it? Why, Cathy, WHY? Why did you –

This line of interrogation by J. being repeated over and over perhaps a hundred times.

Me: Because I wanted to know what you thought of it.

J: It is fat and silly.

A Scottish person is writing to the Department of the Dole, he is Bill Paterson, and you hear the incomparable Bill with his best dour disapproving accent reading to himself as he writes:

Dear Sir.

While I am sure the DD has made the correct decision in financing the writing career of Mr MJ Nichols, one cannot help observing that his style is fat and silly. Are you paying him too much? Might you consider demoting him for a period to a YA allowance? Perhaps a period of time in that genre – as I believe it is called – will teach him to pare down to the essentials. It could pay off for him and you in the long run.

Yours, etc.