NGE

A little tea, a little chat

I've been a compulsive reader, writer and theatre goer all my life. My book blog is here: http://alittleteaalittlechat.wordpress.com/ Mostly food at the moment but also knitting is here: http://cathyingeneva.wordpress.com/

Democracy Incorporated: Managed Democracy and the Specter of Inverted Totalitarianism
Sheldon S. Wolin
The Temptation of Saint Anthony
Gustave Flaubert
Nebula Award Stories 3
Harlan Ellison, Gary Wright, Samuel R. Delany, Michael Moorcock, Fritz Leiber, Roger Zelazny, J.G. Ballard, Anne McCaffrey
Cosmology and Controversy: The Historical Development of Two Theories of the Universe
Helge Kragh
Gantenbein
Max Frisch

Coping With Sexism in the Military (Military Opportunity Series)

Coping with Sexism in the Military - Mary V. Stremlow You know those questions Maggie poses in Extras? Would you rather be born with three legs and one arm or three arms and one leg. And Andy says ‘Well, it..’

So what about this one, derived from watching Four Corners on some of the niceties of behaviour in the Australian military forces.

Would you rather:

(a) be a girl in the Australian army, raped by a group of chaps in a bedroom with the door open so people can glance in on their way past; when finished with, get kicked out of the room naked; complain to the authorities and end up being fined for sexual misconduct.

or

(b) be a boy in the Australian army, raped for several hours with a vacuum cleaner; have a turned on (and I do cringe, having written that) vacuum cleaner placed on your testicles for a long period of time, it is also used on your body. When finished with you, you go to hospital to be attended to, your testicles in particular need medical help.

Me?

I would a hundred times rather be (a)

Which leads me to conclude that in some ways, being a girl in the army could be better than being a boy. Some sort of inadvertent positive discrimination towards girls, one could say.

You can find the original documentary here: http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/content/2011/s3239681.htm